top of page


Personal Insurance For You
This is an additional coverage for peace of mind living, from keeping your identity and personal information secure to protecting your assets.
Here are some common personal insurance coverage options:

Umbrella insurance

An umbrella liability policy covers a much higher limit and goes above and beyond claims directly relating to your home, auto, boat.

The main purpose of your umbrella policy is to protect your assets from an unforeseen event, such as a tragic accident in which you are held responsible for damages or bodily injuries.

Personal Articles Floater (PAF)

Originally an inland marine policy, PAF can be sold as a separate policy or attached to an existing property insurance policy, such as a homeowners form. The PAF lists items to be covered, with an amount shown for each item.

Here are some examples of Personal articles:

  • Jewelry

  • Furs 

  • Cameras 

  • Musical instruments 

  • Silver/gold ware 

  • Sports equipment 

  • Fine art (including items like oriental rugs, as well as paintings, sculpture, etc.)

  • Collectibles

  • Computer equipment.

Flood insurance

Flood insurance protects a structure and its contents from water damage caused by a flood, which is technically defined as a temporary condition where two or more acres of normally dry land are inundated by water or mudflow.

Homeowners insurance does not cover damages caused by a flood, so anyone with a home in an area susceptible to flooding should consider purchasing flood insurance.

Flood insurance protects two types of property: the structure of your home and the contents. This distinction is made because each have their own deductibles and limits, respectively. Note that flood insurance policies do not cover the land your home sits on.

The coverage for the structure of your home typically includes:

  • Foundation

  • Electrical and plumbing

  • Central air systems and furnace

  • Water heaters

  • Refrigerators, cooking stoves and built-in appliances

  • Permanently installed carpeting over unfinished floor

Contents inside your home that can be protected by a flood insurance policy include:

  • Clothing

  • Furniture

  • Electronics

  • Portable microwaves and portable air conditioners

  • Dishwashers

  • Washers and dryers

  • Carpeting that is not covered as part of the structure

Earthquake insurance

Earthquake insurance is a form of property insurance that pays the policyholder in the event of an earthquake that causes damage to the property. Most ordinary homeowners insurance policies do not cover earthquake damage. 

Earthquake coverage pays for damage caused by the shaking and cracking that can damage homes.

Deductibles of 10-15 percent are common. For example, with a 15 percent deductible, the owner of a $200,000 home could expect to pay up to $30,000 in deductibles for damage to the dwelling before receiving any benefit from their earthquake insurance policy.

Identity theft insurance

Identity theft insurance provides reimbursement to crime victims for the cost of restoring their identity and repairing credit reports.

It generally covers expenses such as phone bills, lost wages, notary and certified mailing costs, and sometimes attorney fees

MFIA Logo Insurance Agency


bottom of page